Chickpea Appetizer (Hummus Habb)
From: "Classic Vegetarian Cooking from the Middle East & North Africa" by Habeeb Salloum. From Palestine and Jordan regions.
SERVES 4 -6
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzo beans)
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped (green onions)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro or fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped to garnish or 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, to garnish
Thoroughly mix all ingredients except the mint; then place in a serving bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Just before serving, garnish with mint.