Armenian Tossed Salad
From "An Armenian Evening", Good Food Magazine, October 1986.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed through press
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 head romaine lettuce
- 1/4 head chicory lettuce
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes, cut into 8 wedges each (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, pared, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, cut into 3x1/4-inch strips
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 12 greek black olives
Whisk oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper together in small bowl or shake in jar with tight-fitting lid. Let stand until ready to serve.
Tear romaine and chicory into bite-size pieces; place in large salad bowl. Add remaining ingredients except vinaigrette.
Just before serving, toss salad to combine. Whisk or shake vinaigrette to blend. Pour vinaigrette over salad and toss to coat. Serve at once.