Armenian Rice Pilaf with Mushrooms
I got this from an Armenian girl who works in my bank.
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup mushroom, thickly sliced
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 medium tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup basmati rice, uncooked
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric or saffron
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth or stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, , for garnish (optional)
In a heavy saucepan or casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat.
Add the onion, mushrooms and sliced green pepper and cook gently until they begin to soften.
Stir in the tomato together with the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Now add the rice and the turmeric or powdered saffron, and cook 2 minutes until grains are thoroughly coated with butter but not browned, stirring constantly.
Pour in the broth (stock), sprinkle with salt and bring to a boil, stirring.
Reduce the heat to low.
Cover and simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender but still firm to the bite-- not mushy.
Gently fluff the rice with a fork.
Spoon onto a heated serving platter, being careful not to mash it, and sprinkle with chopped parsley.