from Giorgio Oscar Bosso
- Los Angeles California, USA
For 4 people
Healing properties of Barley:
cooling and thermal nature; sweet and salty flavor; strengthens
the spleen-pancreas, regulates the stomach, and fortifies the intestines.
cooking time 45 to 1 hour.
1. Wash barley and soak all of other above ingredients together overnight.
- 3/4 c soaked and washed barley
- 6 c filter water
- 1 med. dry shiitake mushroom
- 1/2 c dry daikon
- 3 slices lotus roots
- 2 inch kombu (seaweed)
2. Next morning finely chop shiitake and lotus root, discard stem
from shiitake mushroom.
3. Put all ingredients into a pot, bring to a boil, place flame
deflector under pot and simmer 45 to 1 hour. ten minutes before
adding 1/2 tsp. Tamari sauce and cover.
4. garnish with dandalion or scallions
Notes: you can add also, cabagge and onions.
To do so, when water is boiling add onions and cook for 1 minute,
and then add the rest of the soaking vegetables and barley, add
the minced cabbage, cover and cook.