mango or kiwifruit) & Chili Relish
From: Tim Smith
I looked this recipe up in the old Women's Weekly Preserves Cookbook
and adapted it a little:
Very finely chopped coriander roots from 1 bunch coriander
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp pimentos
- 1 1/2 kg Pawpaw or other fruit, peeled & chopped
- 2 large apples, peeled & choppped
- 400g peeled, chopped tomaroes (about 4 medium)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups white (wine) vinegar
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3-6 bullet chillies chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
Tie peppercorns & pimentos into a muslim bag (bouquet garni) and
combine with all the other ingredients in a large saucepan.
Stir over the heat without boiling until the sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours or
until mixture is thick. Discard muslin bag.
Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold. Makes about 5