From: Kate Pugh
I have only tried this with firm tofu. It's better if the tofu
has not been frozen. You will need a blender. I've served this at
parties and it's been a great hit.
More vegan party food recipes at: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/Cooking/Party/index.html
More vegan pates at: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~corp0141/Cooking/Pates/index.html
Makes enough for 2-4 sandwiches. Triple the quantities if serving
at a party.
1. Thinly slice the onion, finely chop the garlic, and halve and slice
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 225g (8oz) large flat mushrooms
- 25g (1oz) fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g (4oz) firm tofu
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin *or* nutmeg
2. Put the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a wide covered pan over
low heat and cook gently for about 20 minutes until the mushrooms
have given off a lot of water.
Make sure the heat is *very* low to start with, and stir occasionally.
Add a very little water if it is dry at the start, and reduce the
heat even further if it seems to be going dry later on.
3. Cool slightly, then put about 3/4 of the mushroom mixture in
a blender with the breadcrumbs.
Crumble in the tofu and add the cumin, then blend until smooth.
4. Stir in the reserved mushrooms and season to taste with black