This is a really filling salad & is very tasty.
Recipe by Jane Brody.
- 1 2/3 Cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/3 Cups Water
- 1 Cup Barley, Rinsed
- 1 Cup Diced Green Pepper (1 Large)
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Carrot (1 Large)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red Onion (1 Medium)
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Radishes
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Dill or 1 Tablespoon Dried Dillweed
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley (optional)
1. In a heavy, medium saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil
and add the barley.
- 1 Large Clove Garlic, Peeled & Flattened
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt (optional)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Olive or Salad Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
When the boiling resumes, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for
40 to 45 minutes or until tender (check after 30 minutes and add more
water is the barley is dry).
2. While the barley cooks, whisk together all the dressing ingredients
in a large bowl.
3. When the barley is done, remove the garlic from the dressing
and add the barley to the dressing while the barley is still hot.
Toss to mix well, cover and refrigerate at least one hour.
4. Before serving, add the green pepper, carrot, onion, radishes,
dill and parsley.
Note: Can also be served warm.
Mix the vegetables with the barley while the grain is still warm
and serve immediately.