From: Linda K, California, US
I was pretty much winging it, trying to use some bell peppers before
they went bad, and this turned out really good.
- bit of oil or veg margarine (to keep it moist while cooking,
i use the spray canola oil)
- 1/3 white onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped/seeded)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (chopped/seeded)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped/seeded)
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- handful of mushrooms (chopped)
- few pinches of italian seasoning
- few pinches of basil
Saute the garlic and onion till the onion is soft.
Add bell peppers, cook till soft.
Add mushrooms. Cook till soft. (I was able to leave this alone
for a while.)
Add tomato sauce. I add a little bit more spice here because sometimes
the flavor cooks off.
Turn the burner down low and let it simmer while you cook the pasta.
It will thicken a little, but it distributes the flavor.
You can pretty much do what you want with this, but the bell peppers
add a nice sweetness to the sauce. Thought I'd share my first attempt
at vegetarian cooking. :) Keep sending in recipes! I'm a broke college
student, and this site rules!