Ok, I didn't dig this out last night, but I have a good Pesto recipe
from Veggie Life (July '93).
Can easily be vegan and is good for that bumper basil crop:
1. In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except
- 2 Tbs olive oil, almond butter
- 3/4 C vegetable soup stock
- 2 Tbs brown rice vinegar
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt or 1 Tbs umeboshi plum viegar
- 2 C fresh basil leaves or fresh parsley and 1 1/2 Tbs dried
- 1/2 C crushed rye or wheat cracker crumbs
- 5-oz can water chestnuts (about 2/3 C) drained and finely minced
Add more water as needed to make a smooth, creamy mixture.
Put in a medium bowl.
2. With a wooden spoon, stir in minced water chestnuts.
Adjust seasoning to taste. Makes 1 Cup.
**per 2 TBS serving; 47 Cal; 0g Pro; 3g fat; 141mg Na; 0g chol;