Warm Winter Vegetarian Chili
From FoodTV.ca, this is almost a thick vegetable soup. This can also be made in the crock pot by cooking on high for 3 to 4 hours. Just make sure you saute the vegetables first as this will affect the flavour of the final product.
SERVES 6 -8
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce (regular is not vegan, can be ommited.)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 19 ounces red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 19 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 19 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 19 ounces kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large pot, saute the chopped vegetables in olive oil along with the chili powder, dried herbs, crushed red pepper flakes and ground black pepper until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Add the beans and corn to the pot, then add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, vegetable stock, Worcestershire sauce (if using) and hot sauce.
Bring slowly to a boil.
Let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.