From: Karen Sonnessa
Recipe By : Cooking Light, November 1998;
Serving Size : 10
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 6 cups chopped peeled sweet potato -- (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 7 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups chopped spinach
Add chopped onion, celery, minced ginger, dried thyme, and saffron
threads, and saute 5 minutes.
Add sweet potato and orange rind, and saute 3 minutes.
Add broth and red pepper, and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
Place half of potato mixture in a blender or food processor, and process
Pour pureed mixture into a bowl.
Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.
Return pureed mixture to pan.
Stir in the spinach, and cook until thoroughly heated.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup).
CALORIES 119 (18% from fat); FAT 2.4g (sat O.5g, mono 0.6g poly
1.1g); PROTEIN 2.2g; CARB 23.1g; FIBER 3.3g; CHOL Omg; IRON 0.9mg;
SODIUM 775 mg; CALC 36mg