Resource Center - Boston, USA
Over low flame, heat the oil in a large pot and soften the onion and
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cut in 1 inch strips
- 1 hot chile pepper, seeded and minced (or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 6 ounces tender young okra, caps trimmed and pods sliced 1/2
- 2 large tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped; juice included
(about 2 cups)
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or raw, (about 2 ears)
- 1-1/2 cups cooked black beans, drained
- other seasonings are optional
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 tomato cut in wedges, for garnish
Add the peppers and cook for about 5 minute, then the okra, and continue
to cook, still stirring from time to time, for 5 minutes or more.
Add the tomatoes, corn, black beans, and 1 cup water; cover and
simmer for 15 minutes more.
You can serve the vegetable chowder now, simmered briefly, to
enjoy it crunchy with bright fresh flavors, or simmer it longer
to produce more of a stew.
Thin to taste with more water.
Shortly before serving, season wit h favorite herbs, stirring them
slowly into the chowder..