From: Deb Barno, : Coplay Pa, USA
After winter, we all search for a nice healthful tonic. This recipe
serves 4 but can be expanded as you like.
- About 5 lbs red beets, cooked, skinned and sliced into shoestring
- About 2 lbs dandelion greens, dug from your own backyard and
- 8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and diced fine
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Cook, skin, slice the beets after they have cooled so you are able
to handle them.
Clean the dandelion of roots and buds. Submerge for 2 minutes in
boiling water. Drain well.
In a sautee pan, heat the olive oil, add the mushrooms and sautee
until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, brown lightly,
then add the dandelion greens. Sautee for about a minute more. Remove
Mix beets, mushrooms and greens and toss to combine. Add kosher
salt to taste. This can be served warm as a main course or chilled
as a salad.
Any Spring green, either cultivated or wild, will do, provided
it is safe to eat.