Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 10 medium green or red bell peppers, or a combination
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large leeks, white and palest green parts only, chopped and
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked corn kernels, preferably fresh
- 1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried summer savory
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- wheat germ for topping
- paprika for topping
Carefully cut away the top stems of the peppers and remove the
Cut a very thin slice from the bottoms so that the peppers can stand.
Arrange, standing snugly against one another for support, in 1 or
2 very deep casserole dishes or a roasting pan.
Heat the oil with 2 tablespoons of water in a large skillet.
Add the leeks, shallots, and garlic.
Saute over medium heat, covered, lifting the lid to stir occasionally,
until the leeks are tender.
Stir in the remaining ingredients except the toppings.
Cook, stirring, another 5 minutes.
Distribute the stuffing among the peppers.
Top each with a sprinkling of wheat germ, followed by a dusting
Cover the casserole or roasting pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes,
or until the peppers are tender but still firm enough to stand.
Arrange in a circle on a large platter, serve a rice dish in the
Serve at once.
Serves 8 to 10.
Per Serving: Calories: 146; Total fat: 2 grams; Protein: 3 grams;
Carbohydrate: 26 grams; Cholesterol: 0 grams; Sodium: 24 milligrams