from the July Issue of Vegetarian Times.
This is a New England dish of blueberries and dumplings.
In large nonaluminum saucepan, combine blueberries and 1/2 C. sugar.
- 4 C. blueberries, rinsed, stemmed and patted dry
- 1 C. packed, light brown sugar (regluar sugar work fine though)
- 1 C. all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 C. whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
- 3/4 C. soy milk (can sub cows milk or oat milk)
Cook over medium heat, stirring occassionally, until berries come
to a boil.
Meanwhile, sift all flours, baking powder, salt, remaining sugar,
cinnamon and nutmeg into medium bowl.
add milk mixing until just moistened.
Drop dumplings by tablespoonfuls into boiling berries.
Cover with a tight fitting lid. Lower heat slightly.
Cook without lifting lid for fifteen minutes.
To serve, use a large spoon, transfer dumplings into bowl.
Surround with berries.
Break open dumplings with two forks. Serve warm.
Optional serving: Top with scoop of vanilla ice cream.