Squash and Chard with Lentils and Rice
From: Diane -
Staten Island, New York
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 small acorn squash, chopped small
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 T dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp galic powder
- 2 red onions
- 1 cup pine nuts
- olive oil
- 1 bunch swiss chard, washed, chopped, stems removed
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Cook the rice, lentils and wild rice in broth for 20 minutes in
a pressure cooker or fifty minutes be conventional means.
Add squash, tomatoes and seasoning and simmer until squash is cooked
through--about 10 minutes (test with a fork).
Meanwhile fry onions and nuts, in enough olive oil, slowly until
onions are carmelized.
Add onion mixture to pot with swiss chard and cook until chard
Stir in balsamic vinegar.