I like to make a version of refried beans to put in burritos.
This makes enough for 2 people.
Make a quick tomato salsa to put in the burritos as well by finely
chopping some fresh tomatoes, a bit of onion, some garlic if you
want, some fresh coriander (cilantro) if you've got some and mixing
it all together with fresh lime or lemon juice and salt/black pepper.
1. Chop the onions and garlic.
- 1 or 2 medium onions, depending on how much you like onion
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1 (400g, 16oz) can tomatoes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 (400g, 16oz) cans red kidney beans, or 1 can each of red kidney
and pinto beans
Saute them in vegetable stock until well browned (see here if you
don't know how to do this).
Or do it in oil if you prefer.
2. Add the tomatoes and mash down with a potato masher.
Stir in the cumin and chilli powder, then bring to a simmer and
cook for about 5 minutes until the tomatoes begin to disintegrate
into a sauce.
3. Drain and rinse the kidney beans.
Add most of them to the pan and mash with the potato masher.
Stir in the rest of the beans and cook for 5 minutes to mingle the
4. Serve hot with flour tortillas, hot or cold with tortilla chips,
and cold as a sandwich filling.