This stew is easy to prepare, but can take a while to cook. This
should be enough for two people for two nights.
In a large pot over medium high heat, heat 2 tbs. of olive oil and
sauté onion and garlic until the onion is soft. Add bell pepper, cabbage,
potatoes, tomatoes, chili powder and cumin.
- 1 15oz can of kidney beans (or uncooked beans)
- 1 large thinly sliced onion
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 coarsely chopped green pepper
- 1 cup of coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 1/2 cup of diced russet potatoes
- 16 oz can of tomatoes
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 4 cups of water or veggie broth
Continue cooking, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.
Add the rice, water or veggie broth, and beans.
Cover and cook on a low heat for two hours.
until stew is thick, and the rice and beans are tender. (if you
used canned beans, cooking time will be less) Top with grated cheese