Chips with Lone Star 'Caviar'
Recipe By: Low-Fat & Fast Meatless Recipes; Serving Size: 16
Caviar: Combine tomatoes, peas, bell pepper, onions, cilantro, lemon
juice, serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon cumin
and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- 2 medium tomatoes -- seeded and chopped - 2 cups
- 1 15 oz. can black-eyed peas -- rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper -- chopped - 1-1/3 cups
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 serrano peppers -- seed & finely chop
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers -- seed & finely chop
- 2 garlic cloves -- minced
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin -- divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 x 6" whole-wheat flour tortillas
Cover with plastic wrap.
Chill at least 4 hours to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large plastic food-storage bag or paper bag, combine remaining
2 teaspoons cumin, chili powder and garlic powder; set aside.
Spray both sides of each tortilla with vegetable cooking spray;
cut each into 8 wedges.
Place wedges in bag. Secure bag and shake to coat.
Arrange 32 wedges in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 7 to
9 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Repeat with remaining tortilla wedges.
Serve with Caviar.
Makes 16 servings: 111 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g fiber per serving;