Cakes with Salsa
Serving Size: 4
In a 12- to 14-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, combine
1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil with the onion, bell pepper, garlic and
- 1 1/2 tb Salad oil
- 1 sm Onion -- finely chopped
- 1/4 c Red bell pepper - (finely chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves -- minced
- 1 md Fresh jalapeno chili - seeded & finely chopped
- 2 cn Pinto beans (15 oz each) - drained & rinsed
- 1/8 ts Liquid smoke
- 1/4 c Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 ts Ground cumin
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 1/3 c Yellow cornmeal
- Cooking spray (optional)
- 1 c Tomato-based salsa - homemade or purchased
Stir often until onion is limp but not browned, about 5 minutes.
In a bowl, coarsely mash beans with a potato masher until they
Stir in onion mixture, liquid smoke, cilantro, cumin, and pepper,
Spread cornmeal on a sheet of waxed paper.
When bean mixture is cool to touch, divide into 8 equal portions,
shaping each into a 1/2-inch thick cake.
Coat cakes with cornmeal.
Return the frying pan to medium-high heat.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
When oil is hot, add cakes and brown lightly, 8 to 10 minutes; turn
cakes over once.
Coat pan with cooking oil spray if cakes start to stick.
Serve cakes with salsa to add to taste.
Per serving: 209 cal. (26 percent fat, 57 percent carbo., 17 percent
protein); 9 g protein; 6 g fat (1 g sat.); 30 g carbo.; 615 mg sodium;
0 mg chol.