Rice & Vegetables
Serving Size : 4
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion -- chopped
- 3 cloves garlic -- minced
- 1 green pepper -- finely chopped
- 2 cups green beans -- diced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cooked kidney or pinto beans
- 3 tablespoons cilantro -- finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Add onion and garlic and saute about 2 minutes.
Stir in green pepper, green beans, rice, chili powder, salt, and pepper
and, tossing often, cook about 2 minutes.
Combine the tomato paste with about 1/2 cup of the water and stir
to thin out the tomato paste.
Stir in the remaining water and mix well.
Pour into the skillet and cover.
Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Cook 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is done.
Remove from heat.
Gently stir in the beans, cilantro, and oregano.
Cover again and let sit 5 minutes.
Serve immediately or let cool uncovered, then reheat.