From: sheila and victoria, toronto ontario, Canada
side dish serves six
- 1 stalk green onion, whites included, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp red onion minced fine
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 2 ripe red tomatoes
- dash chili pepper
- dash paprika
- dash black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- up to 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped fine
1. Place both types of onions in a bowl with the lemon juice and
let sit for awhile to tame the sharpness of the onions.
2. Cut the avocados into "bite-sized" cubes and add to
3. Cube and seed the tomatoes and add them to the bowl as well.
4. Add spices and cilantro and mix gently (try not to mash the avocados
too much as you mix)
5. Let sit for 15-20 minutes (or longer, this salad is often even
better on day 2, as long as you cover the avocados well enough with
the lemon juice to prevent browning) to let flavours meld.
This is a pretty rich salad; it is much better served as a side
than a main dish.