and Pepper Stew
- London, UK
Serves four, takes about fifty minutes to prepare and cook.
1) Heat oil over a moderate heat in a large casserole pan. Chop all
the vegetables and saute in oil for 10 minutes.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek, shredded
- 1 red pepper
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
2) Add the vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes and paprika. Bring
to the boil, season and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Drain the beans and add to the stew, along with the balsamic
vinegar. Cover the pan and simmer for another 20 minutes.
4) Remove from the heat and serve with baked or mashed potatoes.
If you're not vegan it tastes even better served with a spoonful
of creme fraiche on top, sprinkled with cayenne pepper.