Peas with Tempeh and Rice
Resource Center - Boston, USA
In a large skillet or frying pan, saute the following in 2 T of extra
virgin olive oil chopped onion, diced celery, black pepper, paprika,
cilantro, and garlic when onions are tender add the tempeh and stewed
- 2 cups cooked Pidgeon Peas
( substitute black eye peas if pidgeon peas are un available in
- 3 cups cooked Rice (long grain white or brown)
- 1/2 large onion (chopped)
- 11/2 cups stewed sliced tomatos (canned is ok!)
- 2 t ground cumin.
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1 cup very finely chopped cilantro
( cilantro is also referred to as chinese parsley, or fresh coriander
- 4 cloves finely minced garlic
- 1/8 t black pepper
- 2 t paprika
- 1/2 lb of tempeh (cut into small cubes, and steamed for 12-15
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil.
When mixture is reddish color and the tempeh begins to absorb
the color, add the beans and bean liquid.
Let mixture cook for a few minutes until it bubbles up moderately,
making sure to stir frequently to avoid burning it.
Salt the bubbling mixture and taste it making sure that it is slightly
on the salty side!
Fold in rice and stir in skillet until much of the liquid either
cooks away or is absorbed by the rice.
Serve with a nice tossed salad and enjoy!