This kinda resemble B**f Stew, but without all the fat,
Soak the beans overnight, or by any other meathod. Rinse and cook
the beans for 1/2 hour.
- 1/2 c dried beans (or one can pre-cooked beans)
- 2 or 3 cups water
- Several cloves garlic, chopped coarsley
- 1 sm yellow onion, diced
- 1 lg potato, diced (do not pre-cook)
- 1 carrot, chopped coarsley
- 1 Portabello mushroom, sliced in 1 inch chunks
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms, sliced in 1 inch chunks
- salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp each)
- 1 ts chili powder
- 3 tb of flour or cornstarch (optional)
- Tamari (soy sauce)
- Nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
Add 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
Add the vegatables and return to a boil.
Simmer covered until the potato and beans are thoroughly cooked.
To thicken: mix 2-3 tbs of flour with 1/4 cup of water.
Add to the stew and bring to a boil. Boil for five minutes, stirring
Add a splash of the tamari and the nutritional yeast flakes,
if you like.
Note: You can also saute the onion and mushrooms and use vegatable
stock in place of water.