& George's Special Nut Roast
From: Rosalind Ray, Basildon, Essex, UK
I was given this recipe by some very special friends, hence the
title. It never fails, it is easy, versatile and scrummy. Feeds
- 1 large chopped onion 1oz wholemeal flour
- 1/4 pt vegetable stock 1 tsp yeast extract
- dash of soy sauce 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3oz wholemeal breadcrumbs 1oz rolled oats
- 8oz mixed nuts chopped (or 6oz brazil nuts grated & 2oz
- 1 level tsp dried mixed herbs or 2 tbsps fresh parsley chopped
Gently fry the onion for 5 minutes
Stir in the wholemeal flour, then add the vegetable stock, yeast
extract and soy sauce.
Keep stirring until this thickens, without burning.
Put this mixture in a large bowl with the chopped tomatoes, chopped
nuts, wholemeal breadcrumbs, rolled oats and herbs.
Mix well together and spoon into an oiled ovenproof dish or loaf
Bake for 35-45 minutes @ 375F (MK4, 190C)
Gently turn out onto plate/serving dish and allow to cool slightly
Try it cold in a sandwich with your favourite mustard/pickle.