Chong-Kwan Boan -Victoria, Canada
Here is a recipe previously meat oriented but now vegan -- enjoy!
Sprinkle salt over sliced eggplants for 10 minutes -- pat dry.
- 2 medium eggplants (cut in 1/2" circles)
- Salt (for taking bitterness out of eggplants)
- Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of oil
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 1/2 Tablespoon oregano
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 palm full of chopped cilantro (chinese parsley)
- 2 garlics (minced)
- 2 Tablespoons dry cooking sherry
- 2 packages of Yves 'Like Ground' (TVP already prepared)
- 2 14 oz cans of tomato sauce
- 1 package of Soymage's "Soychunks Cheddar Cheese" (lactose,
rennet, and casein free)
- 1 French Bread
Brush eggplant slices on both sides with olive oil
-- Place in oven on broil for about 5-10 minutes
-- make sure not to burn
-- until tender
-- turn over once.
While this is being cooked:
In a saucepan -- heat oil over medium heat an saute garlic and
red pepper and "Like Ground" for about 3-5 minutes adding the
basil, oregano, cayenne and cilantro.
Add tomato sauce and cooking sherry -- simmer for about another
Place eggplant slices when cooked in a 13" dish -- layer the
-- empty the "Like Ground" sauce over the eggplants
- grate the Soymage cheese over it and bake in oven at 350 degrees
for about 20 minutes
-- serve with garlic bread or french bread.
Serves about 6 people.
Preparation time: About an 1 hour and a half for everything. YUM!