Sweet & Spicy Rice Jamaican Style
From: Montana Heart Song
This is a tropical seasoned rice, using Jamaican Jerk seasoning and other spices for subtle spicy taste and aromatic. Kids love it. You can add or decrease spices.
- 2 cups raw rice
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered dried lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon jamaican jerk spice
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) packet raisins (optional)
Add water to saucepan, rice cooker or microwave rice cooker.
Add all of the spices.
Heat the water. Stir.
Add the rice, raisins and coconut.
Cook covered until all water is absorbed.
Once the heat is up to simmer, cover and cook on low heat. 20 to 25 minutes on stove top.
Microwave: 20 minutes at 70% power, then high power for 6 to 8 minutes.
Rice Cooker: Follow Instructions.
Note: Use 1 1/4 tsp Jamaican Jerk Seasoning if you want it spicier. Use 1 1/4 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice if you want more cinnamon and anise taste.
Serve with pineapple salad and soy ice cream.