This rice dish is served alongside beans with every evening meal in El Salvador. I actually prefer it over spanish rice now as it has more veggies and more flavor!
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup white onion (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons celery (minced, 1 celery stalk)
- 2 tablespoons carrots (minced, 4 baby carrots)
- 1 roma tomato (diced)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable bouillon powder
Heat the oil in a saute pan on medium high heat. Add the rice, bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and tomato and saute until the rice is no longer translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add the water and the bouillon powder and stir. Bring mixture to a boil and taste the liquid. Add salt or more bouillon powder if needed to taste.
Cover and cook on medium low for 20 minutes. Turn heat off and allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes.