Jamaican Tomato Soup
Adapted from a Moosewood recipe. A neat combo of flavors that I thought were dynamite together.
- 7 1/2 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 2 cups orange juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
Add oil to a large soup pot; let it get hot.
Add in onions and cook/stir over medium heat for 10 minutes or until translucent.
Add in fresh tomatoes and canned tomatoes with juice, basil, sugar, lemon juice, and orange peel; bring to a boil.
Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the orange juice, cilantro, parsley, salt, and pepper to the container of a blender; puree until well mixed.
Add 2 cups cooked tomatoes from the soup pot to the blender; puree until smooth.
Pour puree back into the soup pot; stir to combine.
Heat for 10 minutes.
Garnish with basil, parsley, or chopped green onions, croutons.