Jamaican Barley Vegetable Confetti
From: DR. House
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked barley
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and then cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium carrot, diced in small pieces
- 1 carrot, diced in small pieces
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce or 1 tablespoon vegetarian steak sauce and 1 to 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
Boil the barley in 4½ C water for 45 minutes (or prepare according to package directions). Drain.
Saute the vegetables in vegetable broth for about 10 minutes or until just tender.
Add the Pickapeppa sauce and stir well.
Stir in the cooked barley, mix well.
Add more sauce if desired.
* Pickapeppa, the ketchup of Jamaica, found on most every table, is a mix of tomatoes, vinegar, onions, mangoes, sugar, spices and peppers.