Gallo Pinto (Costa Rican Rice and Beans)
From: Chef Johnny Ringo (on behalf of another)
Just thought I'd add my Costa Rican daughter-in-law's recipe. It uses the traditional Salsa Lizano (you can order it over the Internet) which is probably why Matoszinho didn't think this recipe was quite right Preparation time does not include time to cook the rice. If you need to cook your rice add an additional 15 minutes to the prep time.
SERVES 4 , 4 Cups
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon salsa, lizano
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked
- 2 1/2 cups rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons bell peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon coriander, chopped (Celantro)
Saute onion and bell pepper for about 2 minutes.
Add the black beans and salsa and simmer for about 10 minutes on medium heat.
Then, add the cooked rice and mix in the coriander.