Serving Size : 6
- 2 cups dried black beans, soaked overnight -- and drained
- 10 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion -- diced
- 2 green or red bell peppers -- chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes -- diced
- 4 cloves garlic -- minced
- 4 medium red potatoes -- coarsely chopped
- 4 medium carrots, peeled -- coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley -- chopped
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine the beans and water.
Cook over low heat until the beans are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2
Drain and reserve 3 1/2 cups of the cooking liquid.
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan or Dutch oven
and add the onion, bell peppers, tomatoes, and garlic.
Cook, stirring, for 8-10 minutes.
Add the beans, reserved cooking liquid, potatoes, carrots, thyme,
cumin, salt, and pepper and cook, uncovered, over medium low heat,
stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
Stir in liquid smoke flavoring and parsley.
Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.