Cuban Black Beans and Rice
From: Lanae Peterson
Yummy, inexpensive and makes tons!
SERVES 12 1
- 1 lb dried black beans, sorted and rinsed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin (optional)
- 1 finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups hot cooked rice, for serving
Soak beans overnight.
Combine all ingredients except rice in slow cooker 6 to 8 hours or until beans are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Remove bay leaves.
Serve beans over rice.