Costa Rican Black Bean Soup
This is a recipe I got by Cinda Sanners from her "Soup Buffet" show.
8 1 cup servings
- 1 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red pepper, finely diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
- 3 cups black beans, canned including liquid (4 - 15 oz. cans)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- soy sour cream, can add a spoonful on top (optional)
In a large stock pot, sauté celery, onion, red pepper, tomatoes, garlic and ginger in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender and onion is clear.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve hot.