From: Sue L
This rice is a mild tasting pilaf-type of rice that goes well with spicy foods. If you like to spice it up, adding some chopped green chiles works well.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or scallion
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons finely diced carrots
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth, heated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro (optional)
Rinse rice several times under cold water in a sieve and drain.
Cook the onion, bell pepper, and carrot in lard for 2 minutes.
Add the rice and cook another minute, allowing rice to get thoroughly coated with margarine.
Add the hot broth, and salt and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (do not stir while cooking).
Fluff rice with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro.