Resource Center - Boston, USA
In a nonreactive pot, saute the onions in the broth on medium heat
for 4 or 5 minutes.
- 2 cups chopped onions
- vegetable broth for sauteeing
- 3 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 fresh chile, minced (seeded for a milder "hot")
or 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups diced sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes
- salt to taste
- 2 cups undrained fresh or canned tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 3 tbls. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbls. chopped fresh cilantro
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- sprigs of cilantro (optional)
Add the cabbage and the chile or cayenne and continue to saute, stirring
often, until the onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
Add the grated ginger and the water, cover the pot, and bring
to a boil.
Stir in the sweet potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and simmer for 5
or 6 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender.
Add the tomatoes, okra, and lime juice.
Simmer until all of the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in the cilantro and add more salt to taste.
Sprinkle the stew with chopped peanuts.
Top with a few sprigs of cilantro, if you like.