Calypso Pineapple Bean Pot
From: Sheri, via fatfreevegan.com
This is kind of a fun bean dish; the recipe is from The Meatless Gourmet by Bobbie Hinman.
- 2 cups ripe fresh pineapple, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed (or your choice of sweetener)
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lime peel
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1-pound can chick peas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 1-pound can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of cooked beans)
In a large skillet, combine pineapple, onion, garlic and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 15 minutes or until mixture becomes dry and onion begins to brown.
Add remaining ingredients, mixing well. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 30 minutes, stirring several times while cooking.
Serve over brown rice or any other cooked grain.
Welcome to healthy eating! Fatfree Vegan Recipes has hundreds of delicious oil-free vegan recipes as well as information about healthy low-fat and fat-free vegan diets.