Resource Center - Boston, USA
Brazil's m**t-laden national dish geta a vegetarian makeover.
*30 minutes or less*
- 2 whole dried red peppers or 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. dried leaf thyme or 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced lengthwise into quarters
and then into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 large or 2 medium leeks (white parts only), rinsed and sliced
lengthwise info 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch
- 2 Tbs. fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 large tomato, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 16-oz cans black beans
- Thin lime or orange slices, and cilantro sprigs for garnish
- Cooked rice (optional)
Heat a little veggie broth or water and add dried red peppers
or crushed red pepper flakes, cumin and thyme; lower heat and
cook 1 minute.
Add sweet potatoes; cook 5 minutes.
Add leeks; cook 5 minutes more.
Stir in bell peppers and onion, cook 5 minutes.
Add lime juice, combine well and cook 5 minutes more.
Add tomato slices.
Coat saucepan with nonstick cooking spray; set over low heat.
Add beans and cook, stirring, until hot, about 3 minutes; drain.
Place beans in a casserole or serving bowl; add vegetables.
Garnish with lime or orange slices, cilantro sprigs; serve at
Serve over rice if desired.
Makes 6 servings.