Brazilian Orange Rice
An easy, mild rice with a unique flavor. You can use chopped Brazil nuts to be authentic, but since I really don't like them, I use pine nuts.
SERVES 3 -4
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (tangerine is good, also)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or chopped Brazil nuts if you like)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
Combine water, basmati rice, salt, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, brown sugar and orange zest.
Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat about 40 to 45 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Stir in pine nuts and black olives and serve. (It's nice to garnish with orange slices).