Masala (Masala Bindi)
from A TASTE OF BALTISTAN, Sabiha Khokhar
Yield: 4 servings
(1) When buying okra, always pick the small firm ones as they are
easier to cook. Wash the okra in cold water and wipe off excess water
with kitchen paper. Cut off tops and tails of okra and either leave
okra whole, or cut into 5 cm (2-inch) pieces.
- 500 g Okra
- 4 T Oil
- 250 g Onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 T Grated fresh root ginger
- 125 g Finely chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 t Salt
- 1/2 t Ground turmeric
- 1 t Ground fresh green chilies (reduce for mild taste)
- 2 T Whole coriander leaves
(2) Put the oil into a *karai* or deep frying pan, add the onions
and fry until they are transparent. Add the ginger, tomatoes, salt,
turmeric and chilies. Simmer mixture on low heat for 7-10 minutes
or until the liquid is reduced.
(3) Add the okra and stir once. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat
or until okra is cooked but still firm to touch. Do not stir too
often as okra is a very delicate vegetable and may break up. Sprinkle
with coriander leaves. Serve with a raita, and chapattis.