Vadai - A South Indian snack
(1) Soak uLLundhu for about 3 to 5 hours.
- 1 cup uLLundhu (Urad daal)
- 4 to 6 Green chillies (chopped)
- 1/2 inch Ginger (grated/chopped)
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 cups.
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)(optional)
- 1/2 head Cabbage (small) (chopped) (optional)
(2) Drain the water completely and grind till the uLLundhu is
justabout broken in small pieces (maAvu should NOT be too fine)
the uLLundhu in the blender or food processor with very little water
aspossible, to do this grind 1/2 cup of uLLundhu at time [or else
the blender will be on fire ;-)].
(3) Mix chillies, ginger, salt and the vegetables (optional) to
You can just onion or both onion and cabbage.
(4) Add the oil to heated wok (vaANali) and heat the oil onmedium-high
heat for about 3 to 5 minutes.
(5) Wet the palm of one of your hands.
Put the maAvu on the wet palm and shape it like doughnut and drop
it slowly into the oil and fry till golden brown.
If the shape dosen't matter to you, then take the maAvu and drop
into the oil using a table-spoon (slightly oil thespoon before taking
the maAvu so it won't stick to the spoon).
You can add 2 or 3 at a time depending on how much oil you have
in the vaANali.
To the same maAvu, add about 1 tsp. whole black pepper (crushed),
1/2 cup of chopped fresh coconut, 1/2" ginger grated and salt (omit
chillies, onion and cabbage).
Drop the maAvu into the oil in round shapes, to make Madras Bonda
and fry till golden brown.