(ideal for a samosa filling)
Resource Center - Boston, USA
Put the potatoes in a large saucepan of water and bring to the boil.
- 500g potatoes
- 3 or 4 fresh green chillis (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- large pinch ground asafoetida
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced peeled ginger root
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground dried mango (amchur)
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped coriander
Cook for 10-15 mins or until tender.
Drain well Meanwhile make a slit in each of the chillies.
When the potatoes are cool peel them.
Break up potatoes one at a time by holding them in your palm and closing
your fist (messy - gloves are a good idea).
Set aside Heat oil in a heavy basedsaucepan over a high heat then
add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
When the seeds splutter add the ginger and stir fry until lightly
Add the potatoes and chillies and continue frying for about 1 min
until they start to look slightly glossy.
Add the rest of the spices and 1 tablespoon of the coriander.
Stir to coat the potatoes in the spices.
Lower heat and continue cooking stirring occasionally for about 5
mins to let the flavors blend.
Garnish with the rest of the coriander.
Variations: add other veggies when the spices are added (zucchini
and beans are good as are peas)