1. Warm oil. Season with mustard , chana dal and curry powder. Saute
peeled onions till translucent. Add squeezed out extract of tamarind.
Throw the sambar powder, salt and asafoetida in. Let simmer till onions
are cooked. Add dissolved rice flour water for thickening. Stir and
wait till it simmers again a couple of minutes.
- lemon size tamarind soaked in about a cup of water
- pearl onions/shallots peeled
- 2 dried red chilli pods
- 1 1/2 tspn sambar powder
- 1 1/2 tspn rice flour mixed with a little water for thickening
- salt to taste
- mustard, chana dal, curry leaves for seasoning
- a pinch asafoetida
- 2 tbspn oil
2. Variations: Tomatoes with chick peas makes a delicious vatha
kozhambu. Add some slit green chillies if you would like to spike
it up. Other suggestions are diced sweet potato, diced butternut
squash, daikon (chinese radish), drumsticks (available fresh in
Indian stores or canned, pre-cooked) all on their own.