From: Debbie R.
From "Oprah" magazine, March 2007.
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make masala, mix spices until blended and set aside.
Heat oil over med-high heat. Add onions and saute until light brown, 8-10minutes. Add masala; stir 1 minute or until spices are fragrant.
Stir in chickpeaks, pepper, salt and 1 T. water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7 minutes or until the first few chickpeas begin to split. It it becomes dry, add some water. Only add 1 T. at a time. It should be moist but not saucy.
Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice and garnish with cilantro.
This would be so great scooped up in poori.