Aloo Ki Tikiyan
A relatively easy to make appetizer, perfect for a quick snack. Variation on a recipe found on a Pakistani website, and eaten during Ramadan.
- 4 big potatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5-6 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 4 teaspoons masala or 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion seeds (kalongi)
- 1 teaspoon jeera powder (Cumin powder)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 pinch baking soda
- water, for making the batter
Peel and boil the potatoes until soft.
Mash the potatoes and add the masala or spices, onions, cilantro, chilis and add ginger and lemon juice if desired.
Form the mixture into small patties.
Mix the white flour with the salt, baking soda, oil and water to make a thick batter.
Heat oil in a pan.
Dip patties into the batter and fry at least 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown.