Recipe By : Tamales World Tour Show; Serving Size: 4
Cut potatoes into 1/2inch dice.
- 3 large baking potatoes -- peeled
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 large onions -- diced
- 1 tablespoon pureed garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3 tomatoes -- peeled, seeded, and -- diced
- 2 cups water -- up to 3
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas -- thawed
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar -- or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 bunchfresh cilantro -- roughly chopped
Place in a bowl and rinse with cold running water until water runs
clear, to remove excess starch.
Heat 1/4 cup margarine in a saucepan over medium high heat.
Saute onions until brown.
At same time, heat remaining clarified butter in a large skillet
over moderate heat.
Fry potatoes until golden and add sauteed onions.
Add garlic and ginger, and cook just long enough to release their
Remove from heat and add cumin, turmeric, coriander, and pepper
Return pan to moderate heat and cook 12 minutes, stirring constantly.
Stir in tomatoes, water, and salt.
Simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and cook until peas are heated through.
Adjust seasonings and serve immediately with basmati rice and
Yield: 4 servings or 6 side dishes