Adapted from Yamuna Devi, "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking"
Heat oil/margarine till hot.
- 3 tbs. oil/margarine
- 1,5 lb potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbs. minced ginger root
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 2 green chiles, minced
- 1 tbs. coriander
- 1/2 tbs. whole cumin seeds
- 1,25 cups water
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1,5 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 tsp. asafetida
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbs. fresh coriander, chopped
Add ginger, chilies, cumin seeds and black mustard seeds.
Fry for a few seconds and add asafetida.
A few seconds later add the tomatoes and fry for 3 minutes.
Add the potatoes, turmeric, coriander and water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the peas, salt and half the chopped coriander.
Continue to cook, partially covered, till the potatoes are soft.
Garnish with the rest of the coriander and serve. Serves: 6.