Nepalese Potato, Tomato and Pea Curry
A rich flavored curry-easy to make and not expensive. Can be thrown together at the last minute, a favorite also with vegetarians.
SERVES 3 -4
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-2 mild green chilies
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, fresh grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup hot water
Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onion until soft and golden. Stir in pepper, chili, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes then add the potatoes; stir.
Add the remaining ingredients and hot water. Simmer until vegetables are cooked, thicken if necessary.
Serve with rice and accompaniments.