Potatoes with Turmeric and Cumin
Recipe By : Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste of India
Serving Size: 1
Cut the clean potatoes into 1/2-in dice.
- 1 1/2 pounds new potatoes scrubbed, not peeled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida optional
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoonsalt
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over a medium heat.
When hot, put in, in quick succession:
- First the asafetida.
- A second later, the mustard seeds.
- Then the cumin seeds.
Now put in the potatoes and stir once or twice. Sprinkle in the
Continue to stir every now and then and cook for about 15 minutes
or until the potatoes are lightly browned and almost done.
Sprinkle in the ground coriander, ground cumin, cayenne, and salt.
Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes.